Centre for Health Promotion Research
The purpose of the UKK Institute is to promote public health. Through research, training and communication we support people in adopting healthy life styles. Our aim is to promote physical activity and to reduce the number of injuries occuring at home or leisure.
The UKK Institute was founded in 1980.
The UKK Institute is a private research institute, owned by the Urho Kekkonen Fitness Institute Foundation.
The Foundation's Board of Directors has representatives from:
- The Council of the Foundation
- The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
- The Ministry of Education
- The City of Tampere
- The University of Tampere
Tommi Vasankari, DMed.Sc.
Funding is provided by the Ministery of Social Affairs and Health, and the Finnish Slot Machine Association, and public research grants. A smaller part of the activities is covered by the yield of our education and service businesses.
- The Ministery of Social Affairs and Health as an expert of health-enhancing physical activity
- WHO Collaborating Centre on Physical Activity
There are 60 employees in the UKK Institute.