- Monitoring Physical Activity and Fitness
- Health-related fitness tests for public health monitoring
- Development and evaluation of a 2-km Walking Test
- Health-related fitness test battery
- Health-related fitness tests for older adults
- Required motor abilities in commonly practised exercise modes
- Physical activity and motor abilities
- Health 2000 and Health 2011
- Exercise Loading and Bone Structure
- KidsOut! — promoting physical activity and reducing sedentary behavior among 8th graders
- Physical Activity as a Medicine
- Counselling, lifestyle and physical activity in maternity care -study (NELLI)
- Effect of physical activity on menopausal symptoms
- Breast Cancer and Exercise
- KÄPY Research – Social Ecological Intervention to Promote Active Commuting to Work
- Prevention of Chronic Low Back Pain in Female Nurses
- Weight Reduction and Long-distance Truck and Bus Drivers
- Physical Activity and Reducing of Headaches
- Developing physical activity counselling
- VESOTE Effective Life-style Counselling for Social and Health Care
- Safety of Physical Activity
- Predictors of Lower Extremity Injuries in Team Sports PROFITS
- Risk Factors of Injuries and Injury Prevention in Youth Football
- Floorball Injuries – Epidemiology and Prevention
- Neuromuscular Exercise and Counseling Prevent Low Back Pain
- Effects of Exercise on Physical Functioning, Bone Strength and Fall Risk among Older Women
- Vitamin D and Exercise in Fall Prevention
- Effect of Vibration Training on Physical Functioning and Risk of Falling in Older People
- Fall-induced Injuries Among Older Adults in Finland
- LiVE: Sports and Exercise Safety Program in Finland
- KaatumisSeula: Implementation of Evidence-Based Fall Prevention for Communities
- Recent Presentations in Conferences
- WHO Europe HEPA Collaboration
VESOTE Effective Life-style Counselling for Social and Health Care Cross-Functionally
The VESOTE program reinforces and develops effective and target-based lifestyle counselling in social and health care. The development activities emphasise physical activity, nutrition and sleep. The final goal of the program is for Finns to be more physically active, sit less, eat a varied and healthy diet and sleep better.
Program duration 2017–2018. There are over 4 million inhabitants and 184 municipalities in the area covered by the VESOTE program.
VESOTE is funded by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. It is one of the programs in Leading project: Promoting health and well-being and reducing inequality / putting good practices into permanent use.
- Adopting and reinforcing effective and high-quality lifestyle counselling operating models.
- Developing lifestyle counselling expertise.
- Utilising and spreading best practices.
- Reinforcing the multi-functionality and multi-professionality of lifestyle counselling.
- Utilising the expertise and experience of the third sector in lifestyle counselling
- Regional and web-based training for professionals:
- bringing up the topic of lifestyle behaviours
- counselling on physical activity, nutrition, sleep and treatment of sleep disorders without medication.
- Developing and reinforcing treatment and service chains.
- Creating regional co-operation networks.
- Objective monitoring of physical activity and sleep, as well as utilising information in lifestyle counselling.
- Assessing the effectiveness of lifestyle counselling.
The diverse activities of the program are implemented at different levels simultaneously. 10 regional operators have defined their own lifestyle counselling development activities and target groups.
The effective, high-quality development activities will form a virtual lifestyle counselling clinic that will include lifestyle counselling tools and methods for professionals. A lifestyle service palette will also be created for the clinic, which will help professionals direct the customer onto the lifestyle counselling path.
The main responsibility and administration lie with the UKK Institute.
National co-operator organisations
- Fit for Life Program / LIKES Research Centre for Physical Activity and Health
- Finnish Diabetes Association
- Finnish Central Association for Mental Health
- sleep and the treatment of sleep disorders: Helsingin Uniklinikka – Vitalmed Oy
- nutrition: Pirkanmaa Hospital District
Health Care Districts
- South Karelia Social and Health Care District
- The Hospital District of South Ostrobothnia
- The South Savo Social and Health Care Authority
- The Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa
- Kainuu Social and Health Care Joint Authority
- Pirkanmaa Hospital District
- Joint municipal authority for North Karelia social and health services
- The Northern Ostrobothnia Hospital District
- Satakunta hospital district /The social services and healthcare centre of Pori
- The Hospital District of Southwest Finland
Regional Physical Activity Organizations
- South Ostrobothnia
- Päijät Häme
In addition, the following will also participate in the activities in each hospital district
- The social and health care operators of municipalities, as well as physical activity and leisure services
- Physical activity and social and health organisations
Director, UKK Institute
Education and Development Director, UKK Institute
Project Manager, Fit for Life Program
Recent Abstracts and Presentations
Jussila AM, Sarlio S, Aalto-Nevalainen P.
Poster in autumn 2018
More Effective Lifestyle Guidance for Social and Health Care Cross-Functionally in Finland (pdf)
Jussila A-M, Kivimäki S, Vasankari T.
Presented in the 8th Conference of HEPA Europe, 15-17 November 2017, Zagreb, Croatia