- Monitoring Physical Activity and Fitness
- Health-related fitness tests for public health monitoring
- Development and evaluation of a 2-km Walking Test
- Health-related fitness test battery
- Health-related fitness tests for older adults
- Required motor abilities in commonly practised exercise modes
- Physical activity and motor abilities
- Health 2000 and Health 2011
- Exercise Loading and Bone Structure
- KidsOut! — promoting physical activity and reducing sedentary behavior among 8th graders
- Physical Activity as a Medicine
- Counselling, lifestyle and physical activity in maternity care -study (NELLI)
- Effect of physical activity on menopausal symptoms
- Breast Cancer and Exercise
- KÄPY Research – Social Ecological Intervention to Promote Active Commuting to Work
- Prevention of Chronic Low Back Pain in Female Nurses
- Weight Reduction and Long-distance Truck and Bus Drivers
- Physical Activity and Reducing of Headaches
- Developing physical activity counselling
- VESOTE Effective Life-style Counselling for Social and Health Care
- Safety of Physical Activity
- Predictors of Lower Extremity Injuries in Team Sports PROFITS
- Risk Factors of Injuries and Injury Prevention in Youth Football
- Floorball Injuries – Epidemiology and Prevention
- Neuromuscular Exercise and Counseling Prevent Low Back Pain
- Effects of Exercise on Physical Functioning, Bone Strength and Fall Risk among Older Women
- Vitamin D and Exercise in Fall Prevention
- Effect of Vibration Training on Physical Functioning and Risk of Falling in Older People
- Fall-induced Injuries Among Older Adults in Finland
- LiVE: Sports and Exercise Safety Program in Finland
- KaatumisSeula: Implementation of Evidence-Based Fall Prevention for Communities
- Recent Presentations in Conferences
- WHO Europe HEPA Collaboration
Fall-induced Injuries and Deaths among Older Adults in Finland since 1970
The epidemiological time series analysis is constantly being updated with reliable data regarding the number, incidence, trends, causes, risk factors, consequences and costs of fall-related injuries and deaths of Finnish older adults.
Free time accidents and injuries are a significant problem to public health and national economy. Fall-induced fractures and deaths of older adults account for a significant portion of these injuries.
Hospital discharge register data has been collected in Finland for fall-related injuries, such as bone fractures, since 1970. The data for fall-related deaths have been collected from the National Official Cause of Death Statistics since 1971.
The number of fall-related injuries elderly people has increased fivefold over the past thirty years and the number of fall-related deaths has doubled.
To produce regularly updated, reliable data regarding the number, incidence, trends, causes, risk factors, consequences and costs of fall-related injuries and deaths among Finnish older adults.
The National Official Causes of Death Statistics and the Finnish Hospital Discharge Register (HILMO).
MD, PhD, Chief Physician
Kannus P, Niemi S, Sievänen H, Parkkari J. Continuous decline in incidence of distal humeral fracture of older women in Finland. Aging Clin Exp Res 2017;29:467-471.
Kannus P, Parkkari J, Niemi S, Sievänen H. Low-trauma knee fractures in older Finnish women between 1970 and 2013. Aging Clin Exp Res 2016;28:665-668.
Kannus P, Niemi , Parkkari J, Sievänen H. Rising incidence of fall-induced maxillofacial injuries among older adults. Aging Clin Exp Res 2016;28:1127-1131.
Korhonen N. Fall-induced injuries and deaths among older Finns between 1970 and 2012. Tampere: University of Tampere, 2014. Acta Universitatis Tamperensis 1998. Academic dissertation.
Korhonen N, Niemi S, Parkkari J, Sievänen H, Kannus P. Incidence of Fall-Related Traumatic Brain Injuries Among Older Finnish Adults Between 1970 and 2011. JAMA 2013;309(18):1891-1892
For all publications of this research, see the Finnish description. To find the list of publications "Julkaisuja", scroll the page down. To open the publication links, click "Lue lisaa" and "Lue julkaisu".
Updated April 2018