- Monitoring physical activity and fitness
- Health-related fitness tests for public health monitoring
- Development and evaluation of a 2-km Walking Test
- Health-related fitness test battery
- Health-related fitness tests for older adults
- Motor Skill Test Battery for Adults
- Required motor abilities in commonly practised exercise modes
- Physical activity and motor abilities
- Health 2000 and Health 2011
- Exercise Loading and Bone Structure
- FeetEnergy — promoting physical activity among 8th graders
- Promoting safe participation in physical activity
- Prevention of knee and ankle injuries
- Floorball injuries — epidemiology and prevention
- Effects of exercise on physical functioning, bone strength and fall risk among older women
- Vitamin D and Exercise in Fall Prevention
- Effect of vibration training on physical functioning and risk of falling in older people
- Fall-induced injuries among the elderly in Finland
- Neuromuscular Exercise and Counseling Prevent Low Back Pain
- Risk factors of injuries and injury prevention in youth football
- Promoting health-enhancing physical activity
- Counselling, lifestyle and physical activity in maternity care
- Physical activity counseling in maternity and child health care
- Promoting physical activity among women at risk for gestational diabetes
- Validity of a leisure time physical activity questionnaire
- Pregnant Women’s Work Ability, Sickness Absence and Return to Employment
- Effect of physical activity on menopausal symptoms
- Breast Cancer and Exercise
- Prevention of Chronic Lower Back Pain in Female Nurses
- Weight Reduction and Long-distance Truck and Bus Drivers
- Physical Activity and Reducing of Headaches
- Developing physical activity counselling
- Safety 2016 World Conference
- HEPA Europe 2013
Developing physical activity counselling practices in primary care
In previous studies the Finnish Physical Activity Prescription has been proven feasible and effective in promoting physical activity in routine health care practices. However, local efforts are needed to facilitate its adoption among health care providers.
A 12-month intervention was implemented at local level
- to increase health care providers’ knowledge about physical activity and behavioural counselling
- to increase physical activity counselling and its documenting to patient records
- to improve counselling practices by facilitating the uptake of Physical Activity Prescription
- to enhance collaboration between counselling providers.
Four municipal health centres in Pirkanmaa district participated in the intervention. A multi-professional team was nominated in each health centre to take the responsibility for the 6-month development process.
The researchers supported the team with:
- baseline and follow-up evaluation
- one whole-staff training session
- four goal-oriented tutor meetings
- e-mailed tasks in-between.
In the end of the development process a meeting was held in each health centre to summarize the outcomes and to plan further actions.
Outcome evaluation is based on:
- baseline and follow-up questionnaires
- counselling logs completed by the health care staff
- a questionnaire to the patients.
The main outcomes are:
- knowledge about physical activity and behavioural counselling
- the frequency and contents of physical activity counselling
- the frequency of using PAP
- the frequency of documenting physical activity counselling in the patient records.
Process evaluation is based on the meeting minutes of the responsible teams and tutor meetings. They will help to explain the underlying factors promoting or preventing change.
Erja Toropainen, Researcher
For publications (international and Finnish) of this research see the Finnish description.
To find the list of publications (Julkaisuja), scroll the page down.
More about the issue
Integrating Research into Practice to Develop Physical Activity Counseling in Finnish Health Care Centers (pdf) – Katriina Kukkonen-Harjula´s presentation at HEPA Europe 2013
Physical Activity Prescription for Adults
An online form to fill in.