- Monitoring physical activity and fitness
- Health-related fitness tests for public health monitoring
- Development and evaluation of a 2-km Walking Test
- Health-related fitness test battery
- Health-related fitness tests for older adults
- Motor Skill Test Battery for Adults
- Required motor abilities in commonly practised exercise modes
- Physical activity and motor abilities
- Health 2000 and Health 2011
- Exercise Loading and Bone Structure
- FeetEnergy — promoting physical activity among 8th graders
- Promoting safe participation in physical activity
- Prevention of knee and ankle injuries
- Floorball injuries — epidemiology and prevention
- Effects of exercise on physical functioning, bone strength and fall risk among older women
- Vitamin D and Exercise in Fall Prevention
- Effect of vibration training on physical functioning and risk of falling in older people
- Fall-induced injuries among the elderly in Finland
- Neuromuscular Exercise and Counseling Prevent Low Back Pain
- Risk factors of injuries and injury prevention in youth football
- Promoting health-enhancing physical activity
- Counselling, lifestyle and physical activity in maternity care
- Physical activity counseling in maternity and child health care
- Promoting physical activity among women at risk for gestational diabetes
- Validity of a leisure time physical activity questionnaire
- Pregnant Women’s Work Ability, Sickness Absence and Return to Employment
- Effect of physical activity on menopausal symptoms
- Breast Cancer and Exercise
- Prevention of Chronic Lower Back Pain in Female Nurses
- Weight Reduction and Long-distance Truck and Bus Drivers
- Physical Activity and Reducing of Headaches
- Developing physical activity counselling
- HEPA Europe Co-operation
- Safety 2016 World Conference
Fall-induced injuries and deaths among the elderly in Finland since 1970
The epidemiological time series analysis is constantly being updated with reliable data regarding the number, trends, causes, risk factors, consequences and costs of fall-related injuries and deaths among the elderly.
Free time accidents are a significant problem to public health and the national economy. Fall-induced fractures and deaths among the elderly account for a rather significant portion of these accidents.
Hospital discharge register data has been collected for all fall-related accidents in Finland, for example various types fractures, since 1970. The data for fall-related deaths have been collected from the National Cause of Death Register.
The number of fall-related accidents among the elderly has increased fivefold over the past thirty years and the number of fall-related deaths has doubled.
To produce regularly updated, reliable data regarding the number, trends, causes, risk factors, consequences and costs of fall-related injuries and deaths among the elderly.
National Causes of Death Register and Hospital Discharge Register (HILMO).
Pekka Kannus, Chief Physician
For publications (international and Finnish) of this research see the Finnish description.
To find the list of publications (Julkaisuja), scroll the page down.