- Monitoring Physical Activity and Fitness
- Health-related fitness tests for public health monitoring
- Development and evaluation of a 2-km Walking Test
- Health-related fitness test battery
- Health-related fitness tests for older adults
- Required motor abilities in commonly practised exercise modes
- Physical activity and motor abilities
- Health 2000 and Health 2011
- Exercise Loading and Bone Structure
- KidsOut! — promoting physical activity and reducing sedentary behavior among 8th graders
- Physical Activity as a Medicine
- Counselling, lifestyle and physical activity in maternity care -study (NELLI)
- Effect of physical activity on menopausal symptoms
- Breast Cancer and Exercise
- KÄPY Research – Social Ecological Intervention to Promote Active Commuting to Work
- Prevention of Chronic Low Back Pain in Female Nurses
- Weight Reduction and Long-distance Truck and Bus Drivers
- Physical Activity and Reducing of Headaches
- Developing physical activity counselling
- VESOTE Effective Life-style Counselling for Social and Health Care
- Safety of Physical Activity
- Predictors of Lower Extremity Injuries in Team Sports PROFITS
- Risk Factors of Injuries and Injury Prevention in Youth Football
- Floorball Injuries – Epidemiology and Prevention
- Neuromuscular Exercise and Counseling Prevent Low Back Pain
- Effects of Exercise on Physical Functioning, Bone Strength and Fall Risk among Older Women
- Vitamin D and Exercise in Fall Prevention
- Effect of Vibration Training on Physical Functioning and Risk of Falling in Older People
- Fall-induced Injuries Among Older Adults in Finland
- LiVE: Sports and Exercise Safety Program in Finland
- KaatumisSeula: Implementation of Evidence-Based Fall Prevention for Communities
- Recent Presentations in Conferences
- WHO Europe HEPA Collaboration
Developing physical activity counselling practices in primary care
Purpose of this project was to develop physical activity practices in four municipal health centres in Pirkanmaa district using Physical Activity Prescription.
In previous studies the Finnish Physical Activity Prescription (PAP) has been proven feasible and effective in promoting physical activity (PA) in routine health care practices. However, local efforts are needed to facilitate adoption of PAP among health care providers.
The development project was implemented at local level in health centres
• to increase health care providers’ knowledge about physical activity (PA), health and behavioural counselling
• to increase physical activity (PA) counselling and its documenting in electronic patient records
• to improve counselling practices by facilitating the uptake of Physical Activity Prescription (PAP)
• to enhance collaboration between counselling providers.
Four municipal health centres in Pirkanmaa district participated in the development project. A multi-professional team was nominated in each health centre to take the responsibility for the 6-month development process.
The researchers supported the team with:
• baseline and follow-up evaluation
• one whole-staff training session
• four goal-oriented tutor meetings
• e-mailed tasks in-between.
In the end of the development process a meeting was held in each health centre to summarize the outcomes and to plan further actions.
Outcome evaluation is based on:
• baseline and follow-up questionnaires to the health care staff
• counselling logs completed by the health care staff
• a questionnaire to the patients
• telephone interview to the third sector agents
The main outcomes are:
• knowledge about physical activity and behavioural counselling
• the frequency and contents of physical activity counselling
• the frequency of using PAP
• the frequency of documenting physical activity counselling in the patient records
• collaboration between counselling providers
Process evaluation is based on the meeting minutes of the responsible teams and tutor meetings. They will help to explain the underlying factors promoting or preventing change.
Tools and materials
During the development project a working tool kit was developed, including assessment questionnaire, logs, and working manual to guide multiprofessional team through the process. The tool kit Liikuntaneuvonta yhteiseksi asiaksi – Liikkumisresepti käyttöön (in Finnish) is freely available in web www.ukkinstituutti,fi/liikkumisresepti.
Physical Activity Prescription is a tool for the physicians to initiate discussion about physical activity with the patient and to refer the patient to other health or exercise professional for more detailed action-planning and follow-up.
Physical Activity Prescription (PAP) for adults www.ukkinstituutti.fi/liikkumisresepti: a form to fil in online.
Minna Aittasalo, Senior Researcher
Research group: Erja Toropainen, Minna Aittasalo, Katriina Kukkonen-Harjula, Marjo Rinne, Tommi Vasankari
Aittasalo M, Kukkonen-Harjula K, Toropainen E, Rinne M, Tokola K, Vasankari T. Developing physical activity counselling in primary care through participatory action approach. BMC Family Practice 2016;17:141
For all publications of this research, see the Finnish description. To find the list of publications "Julkaisuja", scroll the page down. To open the publication links, click "Lue lisaa" and "Lue julkaisu".
Updated April 2018